Activities in Math and Origami:
1. Learn how to make the origami bird base. Teach the terms mountain, valley fold, inside reverse, squash, etc.
2. Watch the PBS film Between the Folds. It is full of mathematical terms and connections.
3. Make a modular origami box with windows using The Beginners Book of Modular Origami Polyhedra by Rona Gurkewitz and Bennett Arnstein, Dover Publishing, 2008.
4. Use Math and Origami by John Montroll to find how to divide a paper into nths. Try to prove WHY that happens.
5. Design your own packaging for a product. Include a diagram on how to fold the package.
6. Explore “foldy things” in the real world like Mura map folds, car airbags, stent implants, and solar foils.
7. Take pictures of “foldy things” in the real world like t-shirts, envelopes, packaging, umbrellas, chairs, toothbrushes, etc.